More than just a Calyx
Essential tools in your sugar flower collection.
We have an abundance of Rose calyx cutters, do you?
Rose calyx cutters soon become an essential collection for anyone making sugar flowers, but they can also be used to make a wide selection of pretty shaped fantasy flowers. Fantasy flowers enable the cake decorator to have fun, be creative make the most of equipment and use imaginative colour schemes.
- Mexican Hat – Mould paste into a small ball and then a cone shape. Shape into a cone and then pinch the wider end to form a Mexican hat shape. Extend the rim further using a paintbrush handle or a small rolling pin. Place the cutter over the cone and cut out firmly. Thinning the petals further, veining and adding stamens can add additional detail.
- Shaping – The Dog Bone or Ball Tool is ideal to soften the edges of the paste; this will take away the obvious cut edge and create interest. To curve the petals stroke the paste firmly from the tips towards the centre.
- Veining – The Multi-Flower Veiner is ideal for veining any flower up to 50mm. The Veining Mat Sets offer a variety of leaf and flower textures. For strong simple detail draw the back of the Flute or Vein Tool across the paste.
- Jasmine Type – 20mm Calyx Cutter These small flowers are made using the Mexican Hat technique and simply decorated with a single stamen and a painted calyx.
- Lily Type – 70mm Calyx Cutter Create a large Mexican Hat. The strong veining is obtained by first using the flute end of the tool and then the vein end.
- Multi-Layered Mexican Hat – 35 & 45mm Calyx Cutters Use the large cutter for the Mexican Hat base. For additional layers simply cut the smaller size from thinly rolled out paste. Vein the layers using the Multi-Flower Veiner.
- Lantern Flowers – 70mm Calyx Cutter These flowers are also made using the Mexican Hat technique and utilising one of the FMM veining mats. The petals are curved over the cone hiding it inside the lantern.
- Daisy Type – Any size of Calyx Cutter From finely rolled out paste cut two shapes. Create a strong centre vein by marking firstly with the Flute tool and with the Vein tool. Pinch the petal tips before assembling and completing with a Daisy centre which can be made separately.
- Water Lily Flowers – 45mm, 55mm & 70mm Calyx Cutters Using finely rolled out paste cut two of each size calyx. Curve all the petals and brush with powder colour before assembling. Make a small centre from a ball of paste and press with the end of a cocktail stick to create the detail.