Choosing Your Equipment
Getting the right equipment is essential when starting out working with Sugarpaste, we have put together a list of handy tips to help you select your basic equipment.
- Select a smoother that has both straight and curved edges to cover your cakes.
- Choose a non-stick nylon rolling pin that allows you to roll your Sugarpaste very finely, especially important when making sugar flowers.
- A good quality turntable makes it easy to decorate all sides of your cake.
- Bone tools for frilling and shaping are essential components of your tool kit.
- Use fl ute and vein tool for delicate frilling and for veining and shaping flowers.
- Use a Firm Foam Firmer pad to place your Sugarpaste when frilling veining and shaping.
- A flower drying stand is really useful for allowing delicate flowers to dry without being damaged.
- Make sure that you choose the right size cake boards and cake boxes for the cakes you are making.
- Choose a selection of good quality, durable cake tins.
- Select a good quality water brush with bristles firmly attached that don’t splay out.
- Finally, an apron to protect the Sugarpaste from the fibres on your clothes that are easily transferrable to the strip of Sugarpaste you are working on.