Working with Edible Materials
Here are some points to help you when choosing and working with edible materials
- To make your own Flowerpaste for unwired fl owers use Sugarpaste and hardening agent (CMC /TYLO’s) to get the correct consistency. For wired fl owers we recommend using ready-made fl ower paste widely available from Sugarcraft suppliers.
- When colouring paste, use white vegetable fat on your hands to prevent colour staining
- Add colour sparingly, you can always add more but not take away!
- To make edible glue, mix one part TYLO powder to 30 parts water
- If an extra strong glue is required, mix edible glue with a small amount of Sugarpaste
- Leave your covered cake overnight to set fi rmly before decorating
- When adding colour to paste knead it in a tight ball to prevent it drying out and air bubbles forming
- If you want to have a pearl fi nish on motifs, apply lustre dust to the Sugarpaste before cutting motifs etc.
- Always keep your paste in an airtight container so it can be re-used
- Do not put your covered cake in the fridge as once back at room temperature air bubbles are likely to have formed.
- Select just a small amount of Sugarpaste to make your leaf or petal. Overworking and re-rolling large amounts of Sugarpaste tends to make it dry out and therefore harder to work with