Make a Spooky Halloween Cake
Make a Spooktacular Halloween Cake & Cup Cakes with FMM.
To make the cupcake plaques, add tylo/CMC powder to black and purple sugarpaste (use 1tsp of tylo powder to 250g of sugarpaste) and cut four discs of sugarpaste using 60mm diameter circle cutter and set aside to dry. To make the mummy cupcake use the multi-ribbon tool with two plain cutting wheels and one small spacer. Cut strips of white sugarpaste and add to the sugarpaste disc with edible glue. Use the alphabet letter tappits and special occassion tappits to cut the ghost and letters and add these to the sugarpaste discs. To make the eyes, roll small balls of white sugarpaste and then add smaller balls of black sugarpaste. Pipe a swirl of buttercream on top of each cup cake a sit the plaques on top.
Equipment you will need
- FMM 60mm Circle Cutter
- FMM Arch Cutters
- FMM Dab-A-Dust
- FMM Impression Mat Set 3
- FMM Multi-Ribbon Tool
- FMM Special Occasion Tappits
- FMM Star Cutter Set Of 3
- FMM Upper Case Alphabet Tappits
- 12” Square Cake Drum
- 4 Plain Cupcakes
- 8” Round Cake
- Black Edible Paint (Black Foodpaste & Clear Alcohol)
- Black Ribbon
- Edible Glue
- Fine Paintbrush
- Flower Paste Orange, Grey, Yellow,White & Black
- Royal Icing
- Sugarpaste, Purple And Grey
- Wooden Cocktail Sticks
Cover the cake drum with black sugarpaste and leave overnight to dry. Cover the cake with purple sugarpaste and secure to the cake drum with royal icing.
- Roll out grey sugarpaste to 3-4mm thick. Using the stone wall impression mat press into the paste to leave the impression. To prevent sticking, lightly dust the impression mat with cornflour first using the FMM dab-a dust.
- Use a knife to cut the grey paste into sections that are easier to handle. Following the lines of the stones, trim a random pattern as shown. Turn each piece over and brush the back lightly with edible glue or water.
- Place the stone wall effect paste around the base of the cake, leaving a space at the front for the pathway. To make the pathway, use the cobblestone impression mat and cut to shape. Secure to the cake drum with edible glue.
- Roll out white, orange and black flowerpaste thinly. Using the special occasion tappits cut out several ghosts, pumpkins and bats. Use the alphabet tappit to cut out the ‘TRICK OR TREAT’ letters. Set aside to dry.
- Roll out yellow flowerpaste thinly and cut several stars using the three star cutters. Set aside to dry.
- To make the tombstones, roll out grey sugarpaste to around 4-5mm thick and using the arch cutters cut two large and one small. Add the letters as shown with edible glue. These will need to dry for at least two days.
- Position the tombstones on the cake and insert a wooden cocktail stick into the cake behind each to allow them to stand up. Pipe a small amount of purple royal icing onto the bottom of each tombstone and secure in place. Add the stars, bats, pumpkins and ghosts using small amount of royal icing. Make a smooth paint using black food paste and a little clear alcohol and paint on the gate with a fine paintbrush. Finish the cake drum with black ribbon.